Catnip (Nepeta cataria) is known in many territories as catswort, catsmint or just Nepeta. This herb originates in Europe and was naturalized in the US. It can be easily cultivated in the garden and can be familiar to many of us due to its culinary uses (mainly for its aromatic properties). However, catnip benefits also include pretty large number of therapeutic powers of this medicinal plant. Catnip tea has been used in many ancient civilizations as a relaxant, calming agent and digestive aid. This is one of those herbal remedies which can be used in a great variety of forms: infusion, tincture, poultice, juice and so on.
Catnip has been used for many centuries primarily for its calming, soothing and relaxing properties. It has a variety of important nutrients and microelements like iron, potassium, selenium, magnesium, sodium, phosphorus, vitamins C, A and B group, etc. In addition to the above mentioned medicinal properties, health benefits of catnip embrace anti-inflammatory, carminative, stomachic, diaphoretic, antispasmodic, antitussive, sedative, slightly emmenagogue, astringent, tonic and other healing powers of this herb. For mist herbal remedies and preparations, flowering tops of the plant are used. This herb can be suggested to teat many sicknesses and illnesses:
- Health benefits of catnip include treating all possible nervous disorders like anxiety, nervousness, tension, etc.
- Catnip tea can be used to prevent and treat headaches, migraines, as well as high blood pressure.
- This herb can be recommended for promoting total relaxation and calming down numerous negative effects of stresses.
- Catnip is considered one of the best natural remedies for insomnia and sleep disorders.
- Herbal remedy like catnip can assist in treating various gastrointestinal disorders, including gas, bloating, nausea, diarrhea, indigestion and many more.
- Catnip benefits embrace very powerful antispasmodic action of this herb, so catnip tea can be used to treat muscle cramps, menstrual cramps, stomach cramps and so on.
- Catnip tea is one of the best remedies to promote sweating and combat fever. It can be a great solution for those who suffer from colds, the flu, bronchitis and other diseases accompanied by high fever.
- Also, catnip tea can be applied externally to treat swelling and joint pains related to arthritis.
- Astringent health benefits of catnip can be used to heal cuts, wounds, bruises, bleeding and other types of skin traumas.