Common Horehound (Marrubium vulgare) is a perennial medicinal her, a member of mint family. Known also as houndsbane, marrubium, eye of the star, haran haran, bull’s blood, mapiochin, blanc rubi, and so on, this herb is one of the easiest to grow. It has characteristic square shape stem, dark green leaves covered with white soft hairs, and small white flowers which are very attractive to bees. Horehound can be found all around Europe, North Africa and the Middle East region, it grows in abundance around the roads, on the fields and in wastelands.
Health benefits of horehound can assist in treating colds, mild digestive problems and skin conditions. Usually, young shoots, leaves and flowers of horehound are the parts of the plant used for herbal teas and other herbal preparations. Herbal remedies made of horehound are known and widely used form their expectorant, stimulating, digestive and other properties. Various herbal extracts from this plant are also used for its diuretic, diaphoretic and antihistamine properties. The most commonly, horehound is used in the forms of infusion, herbal syrups, powders, liquid extracts, and lozenges.
- Horehound is a great remedy for whooping, nonproductive and other types of coughs, due to excellent expectorant actions of this herb.
- It is a recommended natural solution to ease the symptoms of asthma and bronchitis.
- This herbal remedy is reported to possess properties to lower blood sugar levels, therefore it can be used by those who suffer from type 2 diabetes.
- Health benefits of horehound can be used to treat various moderate digestive problems including gas, bloating, indigestion, flatulence, and many others.
- It is a great remedy to stimulate bile secretion and improve the function of this body organ.
- Horehound is one of the herbal remedies which have been used in folk medicine as an effective natural painkillers.
- This plant can tone the function of liver and the spleen, making the digestive system work more effectively.
- This medicinal plant plays a role as a great natural remedy for various skin damages like cuts, wounds, insect bites and so on.
- Horehound infusion can be used externally to relieve muscle cramps, sore muscles, swellings, etc.
- Herbal horehound tea can be recommended to all women who suffer from menstrual pains, cramps and other irregularities.