Lemon Grass (Cymbopogon ciatrus) known also as citronella, Sweet Rush or Fever Grass, is a perennial plant which originates from Nepal and India. It is a wondrous herb with a number of therapeutic values and healing powers. Lemon grass is commonly used in perfumery, as well as for producing candles and soaps. It can also be associated with Malaysian, Thai or Vietnamese cuisine as it is very highly valued in those nations for its aromatic flavor resembling ginger and lemon, two in one.
Health benefits of lemon grass embrace a wide range of therapeutic properties and healing actions of this herb, which include diuretic, antiseptic, analgesic,carminative, nervine, galactogogue, tonic, sedative, antidepressant, bactericidal, fungicidal, antimicrobial, febrifuge, astringent, deodorant and many others. Certainly, lemon grass benefits are derived from very rich content of this herbal remedy: mainly antioxidants, beta carotene and other vitamins, a number of microelements and other nutrients. The list of medicinal uses of this herb is quite long:
- Lemon grass has been used for centuries as an effective immune system stimulant and for preventing many serious disorders and illnesses.
- This natural remedy can assist in preventing various problems with digestion including gastroenteritis, indigestion, appetite loss, flatulence, colic and so on.
- Lemon grass products can be used to stimulate blood circulation and lower blood pressure.
- One of the most important health benefits of lemon grass is lowering LDL cholesterol level in blood.
- The researches have shown that lemon grass have great anti-cancer powers and can protect us against several types of cancer including colon cancer.
- Lemon grass benefits include its antibacterial and antifungal properties.
- This is one of the greatest herbal remedies which can be used to reduce fever.
- In addition, the remedies with lemon grass can be effective for treating coughs, cold, bronchitis and other illnesses.
- Using lemon grass infusion and lemon grass oil is recommended for reducing the severity of arthritic pains and rheumatism.
- Diuretic health benefits of lemon grass can serve greatly for improving the function of kidneys and bladder, as well as stimulate detoxification and speed up toxin removal from the body.
- This medicinal herb can be used to relieve the symptoms of stresses like nervousness, anxiety, restlessness and so on.
- Health benefits of lemon grass include relieving insomnia and sleep disorders.
- This medicinal herb is recommended to women who have severe PMS or other menstrual irregularities.
- Lemon grass can be used for toning muscles and tissues.
- Lemon grass benefits include positive effects of this remedy on skin: preventing skin inflammations, helping to get rid of acne, pimples, relieving the condition of those who suffer from eczema, dermatitis and so on.